The reputation of the dentist and their team.
If you are looking for a new dentist locally then you may want to consider reaching out to those you know in the neighbourhood, along with your friends and family and ask if anyone has any recommendations on good dentists in the area. If you are already considering a certain dentist then you can ask if any of them have any comments or concerns.
You may also contact your local or provincial dental society for a list of practicing dentists in your area.
How comfortable you are with the dentist?
You will need to make sure that you are comfortable with your new dentist, especially since this person will have their hands in your mouth most of the time you are with them. During your initial consultation or appointment with a new dentist, consider the following:
- Does the dentist listen to your concerns while you are sharing?
- are you comfortable talking about any fears that you may have?
- Do they answer your questions about procedures you’ll need effectively?
- Does the dentist seem to hear and understand your concerns?
Does the dentist provide the services that you need?
At this point, dental clinics are able to offer a wide variety of services to assist with many different dental concerns. Do the dentists you are considering offer comprehensive services, including preventive, restorative and cosmetic treatments? What about emergency care?
If you have any dental concerns related to a unique condition then you may want to consider looking for a dental specialist in the area.
Do the office hours and location work well for your life?
- Is the dentist close to work or home?
- Is it close to public transit if needed?
- If you drive, is parking convenient?
- Are there hours convenient for you?
Does it meet any accessibility needs that you may have?
If you or a family member has any special needs then you should ensure that the office is able to accommodate you. From physical accessibility to dental sedation services, this is an important aspect of comprehensive dental care.
What financial options are available to patients?
- Does your dentist follow the current Dental Association Fee Guide for your province?
- Do they accept your insurance and can they file your insurance claim electronically?
- Are there multiple payment options (personal checks, credit cards, interest-free payment plans)?
While your health is the most important factor, money is also an issue. Don’t hesitate to ask for an estimate for any procedures. Our administrative team is always here to address any questions or concerns you may have.
Is scheduling or cancelling an appointment simple?
Does the office have dedicated staff for managing schedules and phone calls/emails?
What is the appearance of the dental office?
- Is the dental office clean and orderly?
- Are the receptionists/administrative team welcoming?
- Can you visit before making your first appointment to help you make a final decision?
We are happy to have patients visit Sheppard West Dental at a pre-scheduled time so you can get to know our office. We aim to help make every patient comfortable and would love to meet you and your family.
Does the dentist hold the same values as you do?
You will likely want to make sure that the dentist you choose shares the same values as you do. Talk to the dentist to learn about his or her approach to their dentist-patient relationships, and whether you two would be a good match.
We are happy to welcome new patients at Sheppard West Dental.
If you are looking for a new dentist in the North York area, our team would be happy to meet you! Reach out to us today!